Page 2 - February 2012
P. 2
HOW TO COMMUNICATE DURING AN EMERGENCY „ Limit non-emergency phone calls. This will minimize network congestion, free up space on the network for emergency communications and conserve battery power if your wireless. Emergency Management Plan „ For cordless phone users, keep a standard non-cordless phone available for backup in the event of a power outage. Emergency information Phone Line: 1-866-623-8883 „ Keep all calls brief. If you need to use a phone, try to use it only to convey vital information to emergency personnel and/or family. When will an Emergency be declared? Emergencies will be declared by the Ralph Wyman, Emergency Manager. „ If possible, try a variety of communications services if you are The Emergency manager monitors river levels, power outages, and adverse unsuccessful in getting through with one. For example, if you are weather conditions. Any of these things could constitute an emergency. unsuccessful in getting through on your wireless phone, try messaging or email. Alternatively, try a land wireline phone if available. This will help When do I call the Emergency Phone Line? spread the communications demand over multiple networks and should Any time you are concerned about adverse weather, power outages or other reduce overall congestion. emergency situations. „ Wait 10 seconds before redialing a call. On many wireless handsets, to re- For power outages call: Grays Harbor PUD: 1-888-541-5923; dial a number, you simply push “send” after you’ve ended a call to redial the Thurston County PSE: 1-888-225-5773 previous number. If you do this too quickly, the data from the handset to the cell sites does not have enough time to clear before you’ve resent the same What happens once the emergency is declared? date. This again contributes to a clogged network. Once an Emergency is declared the emergency line will be updated with the appropriate information regarding the situation.. „ Have charged batteries and car charger adapters available for backup power for your wireless phone. Can I go to the Hotel? Maintain a list of emergency phone numbers in your phone. The Hotel has been designated as a safe center during times of emergency. „ It is being reserved for At-Risk individuals who are not able to be safe and „ Have a family communications plan in place. Designate someone out of have their needs met in the community center. the area as the central contact, and make sure all family members know who to contact if they become separated. (Sometimes you can get long distance Who do I call if I need help? calls to go through even when the local system is down) For life threatening emergencies call 9-1-1. For other non-emergency assistance call Law Enforcement at 360-709-1603. Remember offcers are „ If you have call forwarding on your home phone, forward your home busy during emergency declarations and will respond as soon as they are number to your wireless number in the event an evacuation is ordered. able. This way you will get incoming calls from your landline. Other Questions: „ After the storm has passed, if you lose power in your home, try using Is there food and water at the community Center? your vehicle or any other means available to charge your cell phone. Not other than the drinking fountains. People need to bring their own food Make sure you have a battery powered (or car) radio to listen for news and drinks. updates. Be careful…Do not try and reach your car if it is not safe to do so, and remain cautious of carbon monoxide emissions from your car if it’s in What if I need help getting to the Community Center an enclosed space. Family Services will maintaining a list of “at-risk” individuals. When the Plan is activated, staff will begin contacting these people to see if they need „ Lastly, if you have an emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately. Use other assistance. options if it is NOT an emergency. During the power outage, if you need assistance and either are not on the list or have not been contacted yet, please call Law Enforcement at 360- 273-7051 A heavy snowfall What do I need to do if I think I’m an at risk individual? covered There are certain requirements to be considered at risk. Contact Family vehicles Services to see if you meet the criteria. it is important to contact them to discuss before the event occurs as staff will be very busy during an anywhere emergency response. from 12-18 inches deep. If your interested in learning more about the emergency management plan. Photo by Please contact Ralph Wyman, Director of Public Safety at 360-273-7051 or stop by the Public Safety Building. Gerrie Sanders Page 2   
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7